At some point, people will be evaluated based on their online brand. At that time, the resume will finally die.
I already do this when I evaluate new employees. There is a wealth of information already out.
- Google search
- Blog content -- great overview of the person's knowledge and personality
- Conference presentations / publications on the web (Slideshare, etc.)
- Community participation
- Social participation and profiles (Facebook, Linked In, Twitter, etc.)
- Live tweeting and blog coverage of person's presentations/talks
- Any content curation the person does